2013年2月14日 星期四

Calligraphy

《心香自在》心經─篆刻部分

《心香自在》心經─書法部分



"The incense of a free heart"

Hsu Zhi Yang, born in 1954, is a patient with both Motor Neuron Disease and Kennedy Disease. With the endless torture, it inspires his literature. And art work creation.


The Naming of the Work:

"The incense of a free heart"
"To light up heart's incense and to feel the freedom." To obtain concentration and to stabilize one's heart to reach the clarity of mind.
"Heart Sutra" is a classic of Tao, and it opens your mind to intelligence. Expecting to maintain the heart's incense and make it forever.

The birth of "The incense of a free heart"--- Digital drawn version of "Heart Sutra"
"Mr. Hsu, your calligraphy work is impressive. Can I have a copy of the 'Heart Sutra' written by you?"
"Mr. Hsu, you can write calligraphy. You should bond with others by making more calligraphy works of 'Heart Sutra'."
"Mr. Hsu, how much should I pay for a copy of 'Heart Sutra' by you?"
For the past few years, I've visited several jails (including Jin Men, Green Island and Peng Hu), schools, religious places, clubs, hospitals, companies and many other places where I share my life experience. Besides life education related topics, most people ask me about calligraphy and "Heart Sutra".

I, Hsu Zhi Yang, am a patient with both Motor Neuron Disease and Kennedy Disease. Since Kennedy Disease broke into my life, I cannot control my fingers from trembling and my muscles from aching. I cannot breathe and swallow easily. I always have palpitations, I fall unconsciously, I have severe sleeping disorders, I have a large amount of phlegm, I have gastroesophageal reflux disorder, and my blood pressure sometimes rise up to 220 mmHg.

Although my sickness follows me everyday and I struggle with death every second, I won't raise a white flag to the disease. Because of the aching and trembling from my wrist, elbows and arms, and the atrophy in my neck neurons, I can't sit in the same position too long. It is hard for me to complete any of my works. Luckily, I know the meaning of "seizing the day and treasuring what I have", so I grasp the moments when I can still speak and move to do meaningful things.

"The incense of a free heart"---Digital drawn version of "Heart Sutra" is a new work introduced by Story House after "To Follow the Way of Buddha, or My Love" by Peng Wei and the pair cups by Yue Gu. We started to seek for an alternative plan because the need for hand written copies of the "Heart Sutra" was too massive. After searching different ways, I decided to combine computer drawing with calligraphy and seal carving. Therefore this art piece is even more worth treasuring and appreciation.


For this piece of art, I used computer drawing software to imitate calligraphy and seal cutting, which both belong to the traditional four arts of China. The seal carving is closely associated with Chinese writing. After all, most seals have Chinese characters on them. People say that calligraphy and seal carving come from each other. The only difference is that calligraphy is written in ink while seal carving is carved by knives. A Great altitude of art is shown in these small spaces.

It took me 3 months to complete this piece of work. I turned the 260 words in "Heart Sutra" into ____ and the carvings are not presented in complex Oracle Bones, Bird-and-insect Script, Bronze Inscriptions, and Song Inscriptions and so on, but in forms of Seal Scripts that are easier to read and identify. The Chinese characters carved on a seal can be either in relief (called Yang or male) or into the stone (called Yin or female or intaglio). Yin and Yang seals show diversity in red ink and white paper. Calligraphy is presented in Liu Style which is tender but also filled with strength. It was magical that although my body was not in a good condition while creating, my mind was quite peaceful and serene. The process was slow but successful.

I appreciate that Peng Wei applied for the “Dream Comes True” held by Taiwan Stock Exchange, and thank him for establishing Story House auctioning site, providing a platform for ALS patients to learn and develop. I am grateful to all members of Story House, Taiwan Motor Neuron Disease Association, Teacher Shen Shin Hui and her husband, Master Zhao Hui and Master Jue Tai. "The incense of a free and unrestrained heart" was born because of their valuable suggestions. "To light up heart's incense and to feel unrestrained." I hope to maintain the heart's incense and make it last forever.

The heart sutra is a classic in Buddhism and Tao. Calligraphy combines artistic conception, creative concept, rhythm and tempo........using different sizes and types of writing brushes to express Chinese characters in the forms of the art. Seal carving contains aesthetics, philology, and epigraphy and so on. It is evident that a small stamp contains much knowledge; I am not an expert so I am not trying to inflate here. Through this piece of work, I just want to tell all the people who support and care about me that even though I am in great physical pain, I try my best to enriching life to the fullest. Despite the fact that I am not able to move freely anymore, I am still keen on learning and developing myself. I really hope that all charitable people can continue supporting Story House with actual actions, and provide ALS patients with all kinds of resources and care. Thank you very much!

沒有留言:

張貼留言